Saturday, August 9, 2008

First Weekend in Chevak This Time Around

Last night was our first Friday here this fall. We weren't sure what to do, but we wanted to come up with a special Friday fun thing. After we left the school around 11p we thought up a yummy dinner to make- noodles with butter and parmesan cheese! Mmmmmm! This may not sound so great to you, but we were so excited and scarfed that meal down like no other. Afterwards we made some tea and popped some popcorn preparing for a movie when we thought to invite the new couple over for company. As it turns out they were in bed, but on the way back I ran into the kiddos a few houses down and they said they were on there way to the junk food store which was open 'til midnight every night. We told them we'd join but we had to hurry out the door in order to make it on time. The junk food store was like a little shack, literally. I didn't take any pics but I will definitely here sometime soon for you to view. It was old, run-down and had a line out the door of children ready for the junk food at midnight. While in line a teenager told us we should go to the dance.I remember hearing something about it when I was last here, but we didn't go. Chris and I agreed that it would be a fun thing to check out and we wouldn't be dancing. As it turns out, we get there and there are no adults, the lights are COMPLETELY out, and no teachers EVER go to these dances. We were quite the novelty! Since the lights were out and we didn't have to worry about being uncool Chris and I danced for a few songs with the girls and then decided it was fun, but weird and we were outta there (: On the way home we could see the beautiful sun still setting so Chris and I stopped at the school playground and swung for a few minutes. It was actually quite surreal; I felt like I was on vacation. And then a flashlight shone on us and the school security guard introduced himself and said he was just making sure there weren't any kids on the playground... after all, it was nearly 2a. Yes, we are the teachers that don't always fit the mold... and we have a lot of fun! This morning another teacher came over with her yoga video and we did that for an hour as the sun was rising over the lake and soon I am off to the tundra for berry picking. Life isn't too bad. (;

1 comment:

  1. Oh, it sounds like you are having SO much fun! Don't you just love how simple and calming it is...I miss it :)
    I do remember basketball and cross-country were also huge when I lived in Dutch Harbor.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for keeping up with me! (;