Saturday, October 22, 2011

3rd Graders Attend the Opera!

A couple of weeks ago, we were studying "Performances" in our Treasures reading program. We talked about the many different kinds of performances-- figure skating, yuraqing, acting/plays, instrumental (symphonies)... and, the opera :) News got to me that our new superintendent's wife has experience with singing in operas. I don't know her at all, but I am all about giving my kiddos as many opportunities as possible. I just happened to pass by Mrs. Pine on my way home from school one day, and was so thankful that she agreed to perform for my class. My partner teacher, John, and I transformed my room into a theater and prepped the students on performance etiquette. We ALL enjoyed it so very much. For a moment, it felt as though we were truly sitting in Anchorage's Performing Arts Center! Our kids were really engaged and curious about this "opera" thing (not to be confused with "Oprah"! :). Their questions were inquisitive and appropriate, they got to experience something new, and we are all hoping for another performance in the future :) Thank you, Tricia! I love seeing the wonder and appreciation in their young, bright eyes.

The chairs were lined up and numbered.

We created a program and welcome sign for the students.

They were given a ticket with their assigned seat number.

My partner teacher and I were the chaperones/ushers.

Our class was so entranced with the performance!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for keeping up with me! (;