Saturday, April 30, 2011

An Alaskan Summer

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." ~St. Augustine

This year I kind of joke that I made a deal with the devil.

When I first came to Chevak, I told myself that I would travel abroad at least once a year for as long as I am teaching in bush Alaska. The first summer, I backpacked Thailand for about 5.5 weeks. It was AMAZING! Elephant rides, PADI certifed scuba diving, trekking through a jungle, making many new friends around the globe... so many terrific memories.

This past summer, I spent a couple of weeks in Costa Rica... another FABULOUS trip. This time, there were mostly Americans traveling in our guided tour and... so many were in the education field! It was awesome because we all had this great commonality... we bonded quickly in our short time together. Banana plantations, volcanoes, howler monkeys, caymans, hot springs... the best thing about the trip by far was all of the fun nights with our group... it was phenomenal.

So, this school year I decided to take four grad courses over the school year. Since I am paying out of pocket and avoiding student loans, it just seemed like the smartest decision to stay in AK for the summer seeing as I will be having a big celebration trip next year. Over the summer, I will be working on my project proposal and some other "to do" list items for grad school, BUT....

I have some new Alaskan experiences coming my way! I will be driving the Alcan from Seattle to Fairbanks here in a couple of weeks, possibly visiting my grandma (on my dad's side) in Craig (SE Alaska), and then spending a few days/nights in Denali National Park at the end of the summer. Though I will miss my foreign travel, I am pretty excited for these new AK adventures coming my way! And, next summer, foreign travel will continue post-graduation!

Happy trails :)

"Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." ~Miriam Beard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for keeping up with me! (;