Thursday, March 10, 2011

"Auntie J"

This blog posting has taken me awhile to compose. I really wanted to make sure I had some time to sit down and write, and January to present has been kind of a whirlwind. So, here I am. 

When I was quite young... prior to Kindergarten age... my mom met my stepdad and the rest was history. Through the union of Mom and Rick, my sisters and I inherited quite a large number of people as family. We grew up calling many of our parents' friends "aunt" and "uncle."

We were also introduced to a very vibrant couple that soon adopted us girls as their grandkids. That couple would be Auntie Joyce and Uncle George. There really isn't a lot I can say about the two besides the fact that they had a marriage that truly exemplified love. They were very affectionate, supportive, kind, and honest with one another. They were partners in life... they had each others back, if you will ;) 

Sadly enough, I received a phone call on January 25th informing me that Auntie Joyce had passed away due to Leukemia. In her late 80s, I have to say I think she lived a pretty darn good life. She had lots of family and friends that she spread a lot of love to. And, she has left us all with plenty of good, happy, and funny memories. Auntie Joyce was full of so much spunk. In fact, she nearly always whipped everyone at holiday Texas Hold 'Em tournaments! 

I am very thankful to have had this woman in my life for so many years. I was pretty bummed that I didn't get to spend more time with her in her last months, but I am very thankful for the love that her and Uncle George have always extended to us "Nelson girls." I hope to one day to be in a love that is as strong as theirs.

So, the reason I titled this posting "Auntie J" is because in the Cup'ik culture, young children are often named after family members that have passed on. I have worked with an awesome aide and friend for the past three years that I have been in Chevak. I couldn't ask for a better sidekick. Well, when she heard of Auntie Joyce's death, she nicknamed her baby girl "Auntie J" (her baby's name also begins with a J). This was a very kind gesture and touched my heart. Though sometimes I feel sad that I am away from my family in Anchorage when there are tough times, I am glad that I have family out here, too.

Feel free to check out Uncle George's book called The Tents (www.thetents.US)... on many weekends you could find him at the Anchorage Borders signing copies. Uncle George and Auntie Joyce really do have a neat story to share.


***One fun little fact I like to share about Uncle George and Auntie Joyce is this... Auntie Joyce had a twin sister... Uncle George had a twin brother... they married each other! :D

We will miss you, Auntie Joyce.

All my love,
Misty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for keeping up with me! (;