Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I ate SEAL LIVER!!!


Lena's boys Kash and Conor.






Here I am gagging a bit, but I did eat it... and it did stay down. I like all of the expressions in this photo! lol



There is a program called "Sister School" that Chevak participated in this year. A couple of weeks ago, a small group of our middle schoolers visited Palmer and got to partake in city life. This week (which is our Cultural Heritage Week) the Palmer students came here! They were fortunate to be invited to watch the gutting of a seal. AND, they were brave enough to try the liver! If you know me well, or really for any amount of time, you know that I have a weak stomach. However, there are things that I can handle now that I couldn't prior to coming to Chevak. This is probably the third gutting that I have seen and each time I think I am more comfortable with the process (smells, sights, and even sounds!). I was so proud of all of these middle schoolers trying the liver, so I joined them- with their encouragement, of course! In fact, some of the people you see in these photos are from Chevak, but this was also their first time trying the liver. It was a challenge and first for many of us, but we did it! Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for keeping up with me! (;