Thursday, August 4, 2011

Bears in Denali

Though I rafted the Nenana River a few years ago, I just had my first real visit to Denali National Park! This particular visit was a course entitled "Bears in Denali" with the instructor being Pat Owen. There were about 12 participants total, spending 3 days and 2 nights learning about grizzly bears and bear safety, in general. We were very lucky in that we saw 3 grizzly bears total... and, I spotted the one we saw out in the field! It was pretty darn neat! My dad absolutely loved bears and used to play this grizzly bear game with me and my sisters when we were at parks during our early years. I like to think he sent this one just for me :) There are a few pics here, but my camera died after the first day so I might upload more later. Thank you, Alaska, for a beautiful and special summer!

Murie Science and Learning Center (sponsor of the "Bears in Denali" course)

My welcome to DNP!.. No idea whose vehicle this is :)

Camp

Where we ate meals and had lectures

My bunk

Our transportation

This coyote had himself a little snack...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous... God's beauty is BEYOND gorgeous...

Ready for our first hike

Fireweed tat... you are calling my name...!


Sheila!

Some of the other participants

Denali... yay!!!


Berry picking... they sure were plentiful!



Forget Me Not (Alaska state flower)

This picture doesn't do the view justice.

Staying dry :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for keeping up with me! (;