Saturday, September 6, 2008

Early Dismissal for "Cultural Day" .. Old Chevak and Seal Hunting


This is "Boyfriend".. he is just the cutest lil guy and it is going to be so neat to watch him grow up while I am here... I told his parents that he is my lil buddy while I am missing my nephew (Henry)... Kendall aka "Boyfriend" just turned one on my mom's bday (aug 7).

On Friday we had early dismissal so that the entire staff could go to Old Chevak and to seal hunt for a Cultural Day!

Emily and I in the old church in Old Chevak. It is amazing to me how well preserved this lil building is considering it's age, use, and the fact that no one stays there to monitor it! Many travelers pull-over here to spend the night if there is bad weather on the river.

John Pingayak's boat caught this seal which all 6-8 of the boats were shooting at all at once!

Chris, my roomie, shooting at the seal (or something lol) with a handgun! I moved to the back of the boat... (:

1 comment:

  1. Hey Misty! I am so impressed with your incredible upbeat personality and your nerve! I have been thinking about whether or not I would want to do the seal gutting. But how else can it be enjoyed by the community? I'm glad that you are getting a couple of days in Anchorage. I'm sure that your Mom, Tina and Henry are missing you big time, not to mention all of the rest of your family and friends. Hug Henry for me, will you? Even though I know your birthday is Oct. 17, I had never realized that you and I are Libra sisters! I am really enjoying your blogs - keep them coming. Your trip to Chevak was full of adventure! Are you excited about Sara Palin? I know that you met her. My claim to fame is that I can say that my niece met Sara Palin and that you both can hunt and clean your own catch! It might not be the norm here, but I don't think they know what they're missing. I'm so, so proud of you! Now that I am signed up, I'll try to blab more often. Love you bunches! Midge

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for keeping up with me! (;